Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Backyard Birds.

It's been a good month or so since I blogged but I have been busy playing catch up since the Holidays and also enjoying some quite time. Since we had to have our two Yorkies put to sleep last year, one being 18yrs old  and the other 17yrs old, we put out some bird feeders in our backyard. 
The Java Sparrows were the first to appear....

Java Sparrow

They Java Sparrows pretty much ruled the feeders while the Spotted Dove and Zebra Dove gathered below and ate whatever fell from the feeders.....


Spotted Dove
Although the Sparrows and Doves make up a large portion of the birds feeding, there is always one little Northern Cardinal who comes to visit..


Northern Cardinal
There are the two little Red Crested Cardinals daily..This one is having some corn...

   

Red Crested Cardinal




The White-Rumped Shana stays on the fence most of the time.  It never comes down to feed...

White-Rumped Shana showing his tail


White-Rumped Shana




Then there is a Red-Vented Bulbul.  He only comes now and again but chooses to stay up in the avocado tree..
Red-Vented Bulbul

When the lawn maintenance comes around there is a group of Cattle Egret that run around behind the lawnmowers eating..




Group of Cattle Egret
 
 

Cattle Egret
 


And the greatest pleasure of all is to have the Rose-ringed Parakeet. 
I was talking to a friend one day on the phone while sitting in the yard and I spotted the Parakeet on the wire above our house.  I was so sad because I thought it had got loose and someone was missing their bird.  The next day, two appeared at the feeder and they have been multiply ever since. 
One day we counted twenty four.  Most days there are at least twelve.  They are becoming way too familiar and are requiring to be fed twice a day.  Once in the morning and again, late afternoon.  Boy if you don't have the feed out when they show up, they start squawking and getting extremely loud. 
I could watch them for hours.  They love to put on a show and I am convinced they love to pose for pics.  Since my husband bought me a new camera for Christmas, I have taken about 1500 pics of the birds..crazy I know but it is so peaceful and relaxing just to sit and watch them.


Majestic....

Always trying to open the lid to feeder...

How many Parakeets can you fit on a bird feeder ?

There are 12 in this pic


They are now mating...on the wire above the house..






What joy to watch...



This is on of my favorite shots...
Until next time...
ALOHA.....

1 comment:

Paula said...

I miss the beautiful birds of Hawaii.. except the nasty pigeons and doves. That white rumped one is the one I loved to hear sing. He would sit in the bamboo outside my bedroom window and be the first bird to sing in the morning, and the last one at night. I told Nick he was like the bugle player on Palm Circle. Playing revelie in the morning and Taps at night. The other birds waited for him to get started. We only have a few brown birds at our feeder now and one beautiful red cardinal. (oh, and the squirrels)