Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WEEK 1 Demolition of Remodel a House and Don't Divorce or Die Doing it...

WEEK 1
23 May 2011 thru -29 May 2011
It has been a while since I last blogged and a lot has changed.  We moved from Hawaii and are now back in Texas.  When we were here many years ago, we bought a home in Copperas Cove, just outside Ft. Hood.  We have been renting out our home for the past 14 yrs or so. 
We arrived back in town on the morning of the 4th May 2011 and it took me 3 trips to our home that day to get over the initial shock of how much work needed to be done before we could move back in.  We had plans and a contractor set up before we left Hawaii and I thought we were on our way.
19 days later nothing had been done and my husband and I were both beginning to lose patience so on Sunday night the 22nd May, (our wedding anniversary), my husband asked me if we should forget the contractor and do it ourselves.  After a long discussion, the story begins......

little old shack from the front...

little old shack from the back...

The only bloody thing that survived the years of the rental were the 1960's Pool slide, table and groovy umbrella.  It's a bright pink color...yuck..

              







We started tearing up the stained carpet and foam underlay in the Bedrooms first....

Then the Den..
And Finally the Family Room...Yahoo

Smelly carpet and underlay....
The only silver lining in the first few days was to discover wooden floors under the carpet in three of the bedrooms..


After that carpet came the removing of the sub flooring since it was in pretty bad shaped and smelled awful.  It had stains everywhere and smelled like pee !!!!

             


We spent a day removing nails from the den, hall and Family room sub floor.  Whoever put it in must have just bought a new nail gun because that puppy had hundreds of nails in it....




I decided I had to take a break from the nail pulling and  needed to take out some walls. The house was stuck in the 80's and the wood walls had to go....

Pony wall at front door
Pony wall gone...











Then I took out the pony wall between the Kitchen and the small breakfast room so we can extend the kitchen with more cabinets.. George had to help me on this one..


 
     
Then the sub floors came up in the den, hall, half of the family room and master bedroom..

Den and hall

family room

Master Bedroom

We then scheduled a pick up of the first load of trash by Perry..





I then got to let loose on the wall between the master and small bedroom.
We are expanding the master bedroom and bathroom...



While I was bashing the hell out the walls, my husband had to cut out the Nasty Bathtubs, sinks and toilets from the guest and master bathrooms.  How people could live in this filth, I will never know....


Disgusting toilet in guest bathroom


Look at the dirt on the bottom of that bath tub.   gross...

This bathtub was totally black with filth..

George started working on the floors and sub floors while I tackled the walls...

Guest Bathroom

Mater Bathroom

Stubborn cupboard in the guest bathroom. Took forever to get down.



George had to go and get wood supplies from home Depot









and I decided to demo the wall between the kitchen and den..This is a great way to release any built up frustration....




Drywall gone...

George found a lot of damage under the sub floors in the bathrooms. It started with a few floor boards and  as the next few weeks progress you will see how big this hole eventually gets !!!!!!





Perry and his nephew came back to pick up a second load of trash...



George taking a smoke break...



This was what we accomplished the first week during the demo.
I forgot to mention that there is only one room in the house that is actually livable and that is where we eat and sleep...Our Kitchen....

Our blow up beds...

Kitchen



I think we made pretty good progress our first week. As well as all this demo we also went to Lowes and Hoem Depot to get suplies.  Went to every tile store in the area and set up an appointment with lowes about windows...


What I have learned this week

That I truly must love my husband to have taken this project on.
We work very well together.
Always wear protective eye wear and gloves.
Clean up each room as you demo.
I can use tools just as good as a man.
Sure can swing a mallet....
I have muscles that I forgot I had, since every part of my body aches.
You can live without a lot of things except a GOOD BED!!!!

Until next time....



















































































































































































































No comments: