Friday, August 27, 2010

Business Mishaps

Blogging is all very new to me.  I have spent the last few days adding links and blog lists to my site.  It has taken a few glasses of wine to link my facebook to my blog but I managed to figure it out.  I probably could have gotten a friend's teenager to do it all for me in a few short clicks of a mouse since today's youth are so technical savvy but I guess that would defeat the purpose of teaching an old dog new tricks.  I am sure there is a tutorial on how to start a blog or a dummies guide book to blogging but since I have probably spent hundreds of hours watching tutorials on everything from a to z on starting a business and I am not the most patient of people, I just jumped in two feet first.  I learn quicker from hands on than visual anyway.  When I bought the Intuit Quickbooks Accounting Premier program last year, I could not wait to get home fire up the computer and dive right in.  The program is fantastic and yes it has plenty of tutorials to walk you through but I just could not wait. I had the whole ants in my pants thing going on.  I did not have a lick of inventory, no purchase orders, not even the business bank account set up but  I went ahead and added a boat load of products that I was interested in selling into the inventory database.  Not the smartest of moves on my part, and a lesson learned.  I now have a laundry list of items that I probably will never sell, that at some point, I will have to clear out of my inventory.  If only I had followed the instructions and not been so over zealous to get started.  I must be a glutton for punishment or just down right stupid because I done the same thing last week when I bought the Intuit Quickbooks Point of Sale bundle but I will leave that mishap of a story for next time.  Maybe I should write a blog on "what not to do when starting a business" or have a blog called "Jack, jacks it up again."  Well the sounding of taps played over an hour ago on post and I have lots to do tomorrow, so Aloha until next time.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Look at you! You're a blogging queen! I love it and I think you're doing wonderfully. I can't believe you asked for my help when you have more links and cool stuff than I do already.
I'm headed back to Rhode Island today. If I don't get a chance to call this weekend, will try to call Monday. I'm exhausted and sad, but will get over it.